Lomax Nutritional Therapist, Natalia Otero, provides her top tips for supercharging your immune system…
1. Make friends with stress
Stress doesn’t need to be your enemy. Studies show that well handled stress should not weaken our immune system. Take a deep breath when you first wake up in the morning and before going to sleep to send a message to your brain to calm down.
Check out this video for more information »
2. Eat your antioxidants
Try starting your day with a super green juice to get a healthy dose of antioxidants. To prepare my favorite one, simply blend:
- 1 green apple (for a natural hint of sweetness, very LGL)
- 3 florets of broccoli
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 lemon
- 1 inch of ginger
- 3 leaves of basil to stimulate the immune system
- 1 g of astragalus booster (an excellent immune modulator mushroom)
3. Eat clean
Where possible, always try to follow these simple guidelines by eating real foods that are:
- • Fresh and/or in season products
- • Free of added sugar (read the ingredients on the label, be especially wary of high fructose corn syrup)
- • Free of hydrogenated vegetable oils and/or trans-fatty acids
- • Free of the artificial sweetener aspartame
- • Free of chemical preservatives
- • Filled of antimicrobial food and herbs such as garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, coconut oil, oregano and basil.
4. Start consuming more probiotics
Probiotics are good bacteria, which support good health and immune system.
During a nutrition consultation you will be given a list of probiotic foods and discuss how to choose the probiotic most suitable for your needs.
5. Keep training!
Exercise strengthens your immune system to fight off simple bacteria and viral infections.
It also reduces stress, help lower osteoporosis, heart disease and certain types of cancer.
But please bear in mind that intensive exercise should be postponed for a few days while infectious episodes occur.
6. Take supplements
Nutrients that are important for immune system health include selenium, vitamins A, C, D, E, Zinc and ‘medicinal mushrooms’, renowned in the world of natural health as potent immune boosters.
7. Get a good sleep
We need at least seven hours of sleep to give the immune system the chance to fight off illness. Here are a few tips to help with you to get a better night’s sleep:
- • Keep a notebook near your bed and write down the things that worry you
- • Make sure your bedroom is dark with good ventilation
- • Keep electrical devices (TV, computers, mobile phones) out of the room
- • Rub 2-3 drops of DoTerra Lavender essential oil on hands/chest and on the pillow at bedtime
- • If you have time, take a bath with Epsom salts and some candles to relax your muscles and get rid of your stress
Natalia is offering on £50 Nutritional Therapy consultations on Thursday 17th March 2016 specifically for boosting the immune system. Email email@example.com to book an appointment.